Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Old Faithful

Did you know that the wall calendar is considered one of the most widely successful promotional products? Me neither! I recently read an industry article offering some enlightenment on this item as an important piece of a marketing mix. As I began reading the article I was prepared to scoff at the idea that calendars could still be a valuable player in today's market place. Everything has gone digital with most people using a smart phone or Outlook to track their schedules. Just about this time, something caught my attention and I realized that in spite of my use of a digital calendar, there is a wall calendar hanging above my desk... and that made me stop to reconsider my thoughts about this old faithful product.



As I worked to adjust my thoughts on this product, I began with a simple question - Why do I have a calendar hanging on my wall if I primarily use my digital calendar for scheduling? The top answer is that I enjoy the monthly photos - cute French Bulldogs make me smile. Second to this is that I work in an office not yet using a shared calendar. Adding important details to the wall calendar provides a great method of covering my backside allowing others in the office to easily view days that I am out and why without having to send email reminders and/or share my Outlook password.

The next step in my thought adjustment brought me to consider whether or not I would feel the same about my adorable calendar photos if they also showcased a company logo or motto. Although it might somewhat detract from the cute factor the thoughtful placement would not dampen my viewing pleasure in the least. If I am being totally honest, it would also serve the purpose of visually reminding me of a company thoughtful enough to send an item that brings me a little joy on a daily basis... and this, I believe, is the reason that customizable wall calendars remain a staple in the promotional product realm.



As you prepare for your next marketing adventure, consider this old faithful and the vast array of customization options now available. Whether adding a company logo to a calendar with pre-selected photos or developing your own monthly displays, a thoughtful gesture is always noticed and usually rewarded!

No comments:

Post a Comment