Monday, July 26, 2010

Mystery Ink!

During a conversation the other day on the topic of printer ink, I found myself feeling a bit confused and uneducated. Like most people, I have always assumed that printer ink is just ink. I understand that you can buy the name brand toner or an off brand option, as well as the new rage of refill kits. It never occurred to me that beyond these basic options there is quite a bit to know. As usual, my curiosity led me to some research and to ensure others benefit from my educational quest, I am here to report that I have learned a little bit more on this topic. I suspect there is much more, though!

Let me start with the basics that I listed above and my understanding of each option.

Name brand toner/cartridge = high cost, but great quality. Usually manufactured by the same company as your printer, these items are specifically designed for your machine to produce the best possible print. My understanding is that these items are also referred to as OEM (original equipment manufacturer) ink cartridges.

Off brand toner/cartridge = less expensive than OEM, but quality can vary. Depending on who and how these "off-brand" cartridges are put together, there can be a wide variance in the ink quality. The key, I have learned, is differentiating between those referred to as "compatible" and those that are "remanufactured". Prior to my research I thought these were just different ways of saying the same thing - I was wrong!

Compatible toner/cartridge = This is a product not manufactured by the original printer manufacturer (OEM). It will, however, function the same way as the OEM. The key warning.... check your printer warranty! Some have a clause built in that voids the warranty if you use compatible products rather than OEM.
 
Remanufactured toner/cartridge = This product has been used previously, taken apart and then refilled with new ink. Basically, the same thing you could do with a refill kit at home without the mess. These are likely to be the least expensive ink option available, but do tend to have challenges with smearing and malfunctions. Key warning for this item... check your cartridges before making this purchase. Some printer manufacturers have developed cartridges with special technology making so they cannot be remanufactured. If you have one of these printers, beware of anything labeled as "remanufactured" as it may not be accepted by your device.

Refill Kits = low cost, but quite messy! If you need a truly inexpensive option for replacing your printer ink, this could be a great option. HOWEVER, be aware that there is some skill involved in using these refill kits and it can be a messy endeavor. As stated above, before you take this path research your printer to be sure that your cartridges will allow for refilling otherwise you could waste time and money. The other consideration with this option is what you are printing. If this is your home printer and you use it for printing recipes and directions, then this may be a good option. If you are printing photos or more professional style documents, you should be sure to consider the ink quality concerns that people have voiced with the refill route.

As always, make the choice the best fits your needs and budget. Just be sure you have all of the facts before you make your purchase!

No comments:

Post a Comment